Star Worz

Google

Friday, April 04, 2008

THE PROMISED LAND

There'll be a Survivor recap later today, it's currently pinned between Eric's sternum and his spine and we're trying to use the Jaws of Life to get it free.

One quick thing to touch on though, because I'd feel remiss if I didn't.

Today is the 40th anniversary of Martin Luther King Jr.'s assassination. King said the world should be a place where you aren't judged by race. That a person's character is more important than a person's looks. And he wasn't afraid to be tossed in jail for expressing these beliefs. And he wasn't afraid of hoses or dogs or riot cops or his own death.

Like anybody, I would like to live a long life. Longevity has its place. But I'm not concerned about that now. I just want to do God's will. And He's allowed me to go up to the mountain. And I've looked over. And I've seen the Promised Land. I may not get there with you. But I want you to know tonight, that we, as a people, will get to the promised land!

And then a man with a gun sent him back to God.

Martin Luther King Jr. lived his life like Christ wanted everyone to live. He spoke out for others, he espoused love and justice. Social justice, economic justice, political justice. He worked for these things knowing and fully accepting that his actions could lead to his death. He believed that love and justice were more important than one's own life and that a life devoted to those ideals was not a life wasted. Even if you don't believe in God, you can still believe in King's words.

Probably everyone and their mother that does a King piece today will put up "I Have A Dream" so to slightly different the good people here at Star Worz are bringing you "I've Been To The Mountain Top" instead. It's long enough to require two parts, but it's also good enough to make it worth listening to all the way through.




We're better people than we were 40 years ago, but we aren't perfect yet. The Promised Land still eludes us, but with works and faith, there isn't any mountain that can't be climbed.


On this day, and every day, Be Excellent To Each Other.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home