Star Worz

Google

Monday, October 09, 2006

TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN:

Stop.

Just stop.

This has gone on for far too long. You used "Fortunate Son" to sell clothing, editing it, nay neutering it, so the song went from angry protest to pro-American jingoism. Why? So you could move some more over priced shirts.

Then you pulled "Just What I Needed" out of your sleeve to shill for Circuit City. My hat was actually off to you that time. Good job of digging that old chestnut out, polishing it back up and putting it once again in the public eye. Who cares if it's potential about a controlling, even borderline abusive relationship, its made the ink cartridges fly off the shelves.

But this weekend I was at Kohl's getting my watch battery changed, and as I waited in line I suddenly heard a familar tune. It was Big Country's "In A Big Country." ...but it wasn't Big Country singing it. In fact, I'm not even sure it was a man singing it. No, wait, take that back, I AM sure it was a man, but he was one of those quasi-British Coldplay/Snow Patrol men. And he was raping my ears with his "song".

"In a Big Country" is one of the greatest pop tunes of the 80's. I'd go as far as to say The Greatest. It's certainly my favorite. It also features one of the best
videos of all time. What just happened there? I have no idea. Why are they rapelling down a cliff? Beats the heck out of me. That's what makes it so great.

Do you know why Stuart Adamson committed suicide in 2001? It was because he saw the future and the future was his legacy being emasculated by a man named Jimmy F. Gnecco and his band Ours. What the heck is that??? That's not even a band name! It's pronoun for crying out loud!

Stop using old songs to sell your products. There's 9 million ad agencies out there, have one of them compose a jingle for you. I know a guy, he'd probably do it if you just asked him to. Stop murdering my childhood, I don't even like your product in the first place.

2 Comments:

  • Last night I saw a Chevy commercial where they use "American Pie," and all I could think of was this blog post.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:46 AM  

  • Well, that's the best darn compliment I could ever think to recieve. Thanks Amity!

    By Blogger Matt Worzala, at 5:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home