Star Worz

Google

Monday, July 17, 2006

THE NAME GAME

I just ran a letter through the mail that was address to, no joke, a R. Olson-Olson.

Huh.

What kind of balls would you need to hyphenate the same name? I understand having pride in your family's heritage or not wanting to take the man's name, but seriously, what the heck? Did you lose a bet? Some sort of crazy bet? Possibly involving the consumption of hot wings? I'm surprised they weren't laughed out of the licensing office.

Name.
"Olson"
Name.
"Olson"
Sorry, Maiden Name, please.
"Olson"
... and you wish to hyphenate this?
"Yes please. Olson-Olson."
"You mean Olson-Olson dear, the woman's should go first."
"I'm sorry darling, you're right. Olson-Olson."
.... yeah.

It's not even spelled different, I double checked. If you were Kim Jones and you married Jon Jonzz, that'd be something different. One, because it'd be Jones-Jonzz and two, because he's the Martian Manhunter. But this is Olson-Olson. Why? What possible purpose could it serve?

They could have even merged their names, that's a hip thing now that the kids are doing. Change it together to Olsen, or Neslo or Oollsseenn, even. But this? I just don't understand it.

So if anyone can explain this, I'd be happy to hear it.

Otherwise, enjoy this
picture of a kitten.

2 Comments:

  • perhaps they are PRONOUNCED differently? like the second one could be all long vowels and have a silent s?

    I used to waitress, and I got bawled out by Mr. Vergin, because, as he bellowed across the restaurant, "IT IS VERRRRZHEEEEEEEEN! Moron."

    Shortly thereafter, back in the kitchen... "This his soda? Ptoo."

    By Blogger elleuqinat, at 5:28 PM  

  • That's why I call all men "fellah" and all ladies "lady". Can't mispronounce that. ...I hope.

    By Blogger Matt Worzala, at 1:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home