Star Worz

Google

Friday, January 26, 2007

PLEASE EXCUSE OUR MESS

Hello all.
Sorry there was no Wednesday Word this week. I spent most of Wednesday struggling to have enough energy to sit upright at work, and then I spent Thursday trying to keep Saltine crackers in my stomach instead of, you know, not.

So this is just a short update during one of my brief spurts of energy. I was watching the State of the Union Address on Tuesday, and while it was as entertaining as always and raised a point or two that I may ignorantly stab at later, it's not what I want to focus on today.

Once the speech was done, the news organizations all cut to the Democratic response to the speech. I didn't stick around to watch this, and instead hopped to whatever station was on the "return" button of the remote. By doing this I caught a commercial for something called "Tooth Tunes" or "Tunes Teeth" or something like that. It's a toothbrush, geared for kids, that beams music into your brain while you brush. It's not a radio, no, no that would be too pedestrian, too 19th century for today's youth. This toothbrush uses vibrations to send the signal through your teeth and into your brain (which they showed with some amazing animation involving a series of musical notes and a big blue space where I can only assume a child's brain is supposed to be located). The music, therefore, is only audible when you are brushing, so if the kids want the sweet sound candy, they have to keep scrubbing.

Now my question is not for the inventors of this product, but rather the marketing company that put the commercial on the air. This is a product being pitched towards children, so you would think it would play music that children would relate to and be intrigued by. Maybe some Black Eyed Peas "Let's Get It Started" or Kelly Clarkson's "Since You've Been Gone". Possibly Rhianna's "S.O.S" or even something from High School: The Musical. Any of these, I would think, would be fine musical choices to get the little kiddies' interests piqued.

They chose "I Wanna Rock And Roll All Night" by KISS. ...

...

Now, I know that this is a song that we are all familiar with. It is a song that is played during sporting events, weddings, KISS concerts, KISS cover band concerts, bat mitzvah's, KISS concert commercials, etc, etc, etc. But as a song, for children, do you really think that's the tune you should use to pitch your awesome new toothbrush? A rock anthem that celebrated it's 30th anniversary two years ago? That's your idea of hip music?

What, was "Rock Around The Clock" going to cost too much in royalties?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home