Star Worz

Google

Tuesday, June 13, 2006

TONY, TONIE, TONE'

I caught a little bit of The Tony Awards on Sunday. I was on the phone with my folks when my dad mentioned that Stephen Lynch was on doing a song from The Wedding Singer... which is apparently now a popular Broadway musical. I continued watching through the bit with the Spamalot cast that apparently no one in the audience found funny, and then a presenter bit that apparently was hilarious if you had any idea who the woman presenting was. (I did not)

Then they announced the contenders for best actress in a musical and I realized I had no idea what any of the shows they were talking about were, other than "The Color Purple". Needless to say, they didn't win and instead up came a lady that, again, was apparently hilarious if you had any clue who she was.

The next day I was curious enough to look on line to see what some of the results had been. Apparently in the major nominations, only one of the musicals, "The Drowsy Chaperone", was not based on a book, movie, artists songs or older show. AS a writer... that doesn't encourage me too much.

On the other hand, Broadway is having a banner season, topping 12 million in audience numbers for the first time since 2001 and grossing $861.6 million dollars.

*whistle*

If you'll excuse me, I have a stage version of "The Sixth Sense" that I need to polish up for the 2007 season.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home