Star Worz

Google

Tuesday, July 03, 2007

TRYING TO MAKE ME -HOVA!- GO TO- YOUNG!- RE-HOLLA!-HAB

Amy Winehouse has a single out right now. It's called "Rehab".

It's kind of a big-band/swinging 60's sort of sound. I like it. There's also a re-mix version with Jay-Z. I don't care for that one as much.

The first verse is just Amy Winehouse, same for the first chorus. All of a sudden, bam, there's Jay-Z. Except he's not really doing anything. In fact, I'm pretty sure they just took old audio clips of him off of "Encore" and just wedged them in at half volume. So Amy Winehouse is singing and just under her you can occasionally hear "It's your boy!" "You're tuned in to the greatest!" and "What? You want to do it again? From the top? You sure? No, it's cool. Okay, just say when. What? Oh, thanks, yeah, I got them on sale at Foot Locker."

Then Jay-Z throws in his rap. Now, I'll give him credit here, unlike Eminem's throw-away rhyme on Akon's "Smack That", Jay-Z sounds like he didn't just make something up on the car ride over. That doesn't make it great, but it's certainly passable.

And then, like that, he's gone. No more chime-ins, no more "Hova!"s, nothing. It's like a twelve year old was taping "Rehab" off the radio, but forgot he was playing his Jay-Z CD at the same time, and then suddenly remembered and turned it off.

Best line of the song does go to Young Hov though for his last line "I'm going to O.D. till I'm at peace like Anna Nicole."

Wow. If that's not a pot shot, I don't know what is.

1 Comments:

  • I'm kinda glad I haven't heard this... remix? Mash-up? Slaughtering? I don't know what to call it.

    By Blogger Tony, at 2:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home