Star Worz

Google

Wednesday, June 27, 2007

WORZALA'S WEDNESDAY WORD

Today's Wednesday Word is "poor" as in "I'm sure this lady is nice and all but, poor woman, she's got no taste in movies."

Ivana Redwine from About.com has put together a list of her Top Ten Summer Movies. I came across it looking for something to do today's blog about. I heard a Top Ten Summer Movie list had come out recently and I figured, "well, that's gotta be worth writing about." After all, a list is as easy to pick apart as a paper mache nose. I don't think Redwine's list is the one I set out looking for, but boy oh boy, is it worth commentating on.

I will note this before I begin, she put these movies in alphabetical order. That is the only reason on this planet that American Pie 2 is number one on this list.

1) American Pie 2

2) Austin Powers in Goldmember
(man, it's like someone told her to just pick the crummiest sequels possible. The beginning movie spoof is funny, after that, it's all down hill very, very quickly.)

3) Blazing Saddles
Mel Brooks' "Blazing Saddles" is one of the most hilarious movies I've ever seen.
(Well, if American Pie 2 and Goldmember are your usual fare, yeah, I'm not surprised)

4) A Mighty Wind.
(... seriously, it's like she's deliberately trying to pick the worst movie in each series, with the exception of Blazing Saddles so far)

5) Monsoon Wedding.
(Let me be up front with you, if it's a movie about a wedding that's not Wedding Crashers or Old School, it's not going to be on my summer list. If it's a foreign film that's not Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, same thing)

6) Ocean's Eleven (2001)
(No complaints here)

7) Singing In The Rain
(By George she's winning me over)

8) Spider-man 2
(Back to the sequels)
...Spider-Man faces a new enemy: the demonic, powerful, part-mechanical, part-human, octopus-like creature known as Doc Ock.
Peter has an identity crisis, and at one point, he gives up crime-fighting and throws his Spider-Man costume in the trash.
(Demonic? Uhhh, no. Octopus-like? Maybe, perhaps, that's because his name is Doc Ock...topus. Maybe. Also, not so much as an identity crisis as a complete shorting out of his powers. But hey, call 'em as you sorta see 'em.)

9) Star Wars Trilogy
(now this is technically cheating, but what I really love is this line...)
I see these three movies—now individually called "Episode IV: A New Hope" (1977), "Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back" (1980), and "Episode VI: Return of the Jedi" (1983)—as forming a unified whole.
(Three movies forming a unified whole? It's almost like they were some sort of... what's the word I'm looking for... Trilogy??)

10) The Terminal
(Shoot me now. Just press that barrel against my head and pull. Are you... The Terminal?? And then there's this nugget of commentary...)
Hanks is at his charismatic best
(No, no he's not. You know how I know? Because this movie isn't called A League of Their Own. That was his charismatic best. Why? Because he was a drunken j-hole that you still liked, despite the fact that he was a jaaaaaaaaay-hole.)

The lady is welcome to her opinion, but I don't think it's a very good one. Then again, Redwine also picked Lawrence of Arabia as the number one action movie. Lawrence? Of Arabia? Nooooo. Tell me, does Lawrence of Arabia have a Song written about it? Cause
Die Hard does.

2 Comments:

  • She needs to be much more careful with the words "Spider-Man" and "Identity Crisis". There's no need to bring Prodigy, Dusk, Hornet and Ricochet into this... friggin' Ricochet...

    By Blogger Peter, at 6:31 PM  

  • Especially since he was cleared of that murder charge.

    By Blogger Matt Worzala, at 1:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home